The Monroe County
Public Library was first organized in 1947 by the
Farm Women’s Club with support by the Monroe County Commission, the
County Board of Education, and the West Virginia Library Commission.
library was one of the first demonstrations of bookmobile library
in the state.
The first building that
housed the library was shared with the Department
of Public Assistance and had a collection of 2000 volumes. A new
was constructed and dedicated in 1980. The library now has a collection
of 30,000 volumes.
The main floor of the
library houses a collection of books, videos,
periodicals, and other materials. There are three Internet accessible
available for public use. The lower level contains a large meeting room
and the Agnes Campbell Roles Learning Center. The learning center
a computer lab, student desks, and a collection of literacy and adult
education materials. Classes for HSE preparation, basic computer, word
processing, spreadsheets, and one on one literacy tutoring in reading
math are held in the learning center two days each week. Ten internet
accessible computers are available for public use in the lower level.
The library is open 39
hours each week with one full time staff and
two part-time employees.
For more information about the
library, please contact Paulette Kirby,
Library Director at 304-772-3038 or